Jul 22, 2021

OKIAAI Board Minutes 7/22/21

Date:  July 22, 2021
Time:  10:22 a.m.
Location:  Oklahoma Farm Bureau, Tulsa, Oklahoma

Call to order by President

Made by President, Bill Hollander  

Roll Call

Present: Bill Hollander (Pres.), David VanBuskirk (Past Pres.), Chris Woodall (1st VP) (by phone), Ashley Stephens (2nd VP), Todd DeSmet (2nd Yr.), Steve Rhodes (1st Yr.) (by phone), Jim Wilhelm (1st Yr.), Renee Southerland (Secretary), Jonathan Wilk (Treasurer)   

Absent: Fred Henderson (3rd Yr.), Jeremy Robbins (3rd Yr.), Tim Reeves (2nd Yr.)

Reading and Approval of Minutes

Bill Hollander read the June Minutes and made the Motion to approve them, seconded by Todd DeSmet, Motion carried and approved.


Three new members: Lee Green, Josh Davis, and Ben Flowers.  Credentials were reviewed, and David VanBuskirk made the Motion to approve the three new members.  Ashley Stephens seconded.  Motion carried and approved.

Treasurer’s Report

As of 6/30/21, the balance was $15,549.76.  Since that time Jonathan Wilk has made a deposit of $800.00 as well as $289.35 from Square.  A $5.00 service fee will be withdrawn for July.  He did not get a chance to print the statement before the meeting.




Dan Van Buskirk added photo contest information onto the Conference’s main page.  Also, corrections were requested to be made on the website for certain Board Members’ emails.  Renee Southerland will call Dan and have that done.    

Annual Conference

  • Jonathan Wilk advised that the OCI is making the glider, grill, and fire ring for $1,000, and they will let him know when those items are ready to be picked up.  These will be raffle items.  Jonathan is not sure if the OCI will set up a vendor booth or not.  
  • Jonathan Wilk advised 5.11 is not authorized to set up at the conference because they have to get main approval out of the California office.  The 5.11 Corporation has shut down for approval for any type of vendor booth.  
  • Jonathan Wilk also sent Scott Rogers a sponsor form.
  • Chris Woodall stated he is getting everything nailed down and he might need help getting his speaking material information.  Ashley Stephens advised he might be available to speak but needs a date and time and the ATF will pay for a room and travel.  
  • Chris Woodall advised he will send what he has to date in reference to speaking materials to Todd DeSmet and Ashley Stephens.
  • Chris Woodall has Mike Custer’s information but still needs an outline. 
  • Todd DeSmet advised he needs the CV, power points, and timed outline to turn into the insurance department.  
  • Chris Woodall said to use the 2019 information for Dr. Albano until he can get Albano’s 2021 presentation.  Chris requested Renee Southerland send the 2019 information to Ashley Stephens and Todd DeSmet which she will do.  
  • Chris Woodall advised he will email Bill Cathcart and Tripp Wagner concerning Bill Cathcart doing a Q&A after Wagner’s presentation.  
  • Tim Reeves is still trying to get the $1500 sponsorship from the Quapaw Tribe.  
  • Chris Woodall advised he was not sure if Jensen Hughes would sponsor, but he will call them. 
  • Renee Southerland advised that Doug Monty, a fire investigator from Kansas, advised he would send sponsor money.  
  • Chris Woodall advised Firensics will sponsor and he will call to remind them.  
  • Steven Rhodes will call NEFCO.
  • Jonathan Wilk advised Hugh Graham will give money to the burn camp.  
  • Bill Hollander stated he went to the Delaware Tribe and a few banks but has not had any luck yet to get any sponsor money.  He has also written a letter to Lowes requesting raffle items and is waiting to hear back.  He also applied to Walmart and will call the Shawnee Chamber of Commerce and Grace Industries.  
  • Todd DeSmet advised he would call Armstrong Labs for either a vendor or sponsor spot.  
  • David VanBuskirk said he can get a Head Country sampler kit or possibly seasoning packets as giveaways.  
  • Todd DeSmet suggested we use sponsor money for auction gifts.  
  • David VanBuskirk said Tim Reeves was also checking with the Quapaw Tribe in reference to a beef jerky kit.  
  • Renee Southerland advised 129 shirts were ordered in the amount of $1,983.27.  
  • Renee Southerland gave the hotel status that 50 nights have already been booked for the conference.  
  • It was decided that a la carte food items, lunches, and snacks would be discussed at the next meeting.  
  • Todd DeSmet advised that AFR would not be a sponsor.

Old Business

  • The Oklahoma Claims Association conference and golf tournament is September 16th and 17th in Midwest City.  They advised we could have a free vendor booth.  We will need to appear for the golf tournament on Thursday, September 16th.  

New Business

  • Renee Southerland advised she would order the lanyards and football cases as those have yet to be ordered.    

Next Meeting

The next meeting will be Tuesday, August 31, 2021, at 10:00 a.m. at Oklahoma Farm Bureau.  A Motion was made by Ashley Stephens to close the meeting, seconded by David VanBuskirk.  Motion carried and approved.