Date: July 20, 2022
Time: 10:03 a.m.
Location: Cathcart & Dooley Law Office, Oklahoma City, OK
Call to Order
Made by President Chris Woodall
Absent at Meeting: Jesse Benne (2nd yr.), Nick Nadeau (3rd yr.), Tim Reeves (3rd yr.), Gina Coleman (1st yr.) Bill Hollander (Past Pres.)
Present at Meeting: Chris Woodall (Pres.), Ashley Stephens (1st VP) Todd DeSmet (2nd VP), Steve Rhodes (2nd yr.), Renee Southerland (Secretary), Jonathan Wilk (Treasurer), Marc Sutphin (1st yr.)
Reading and Approval of Minutes
Motion was made by Todd DeSmet to forego the reading of the June minutes, seconded by Ashley Stephens, motion carried and approved.
Membership: Motion was made by Chris Woodall to accept the membership of Loren Salzer, seconded by Steve Rhodes, motion carried and approved.
Jonathan Wilk provided the Treasurer’s Report stating that our current balance is $6,990.59. The transactions since the last meeting include the following:
- On 6/23/2022 there was a transfer from PayPal of $211.00 to the account.
- $942.00 was paid to the Department of Corrections.
- $5.00 fee for June was taken out of the account.
- $12.00 and $83.77 were paid to Vista Print.
- $8.30 was credited to our account from Vista Print.
- On 7/15/22, $596.40 was transferred from PayPal to our account.
- Grill was purchased for the raffle in the amount of $272.34 (part of the $300 that was voted on for Renee Southerland to buy items for the raffle).
- Pending in the account is $110.55 for Imprint.
- Pending in the account is the $2,000.00 check to the Billy Magalassi Fund.
- Renee Southerland provided Jonathan Wilk with a check from Integrity for $500.00 in sponsor money to either go toward food or raffle items, and a $300.00 check from Yergey Insurance Private Fire Investigation firm to be a vendor. These checks will be deposited.
A Motion was made by Todd DeSmet to accept the Treasurer’s Report, seconded by Steve Rhodes, motion carried and approved.
No CFIs to report.
No website update.
- An agenda discussion was had that it was almost complete and that we could send that out by email blast in August. Renee Southerland will add Rachelle Goddard from the Oklahoma Firefighter’s Burn Camp as the keynote speaker, unless Ashley Stephens comes up with another keynote speaker. If so, then Rachelle would give her PowerPoint sometime during the first morning of the conference for about 10 minutes and she would be inserted into the agenda.
- Buffet lunches were discussed using sponsor money to pay for the lunches, unless some business specifically wanted to sponsor a lunch.
- Awards discussion was had, but at this time we only have one lifetime award and the Past President award. A few photograph submissions have been entered but are not due to be voted on until the end of September. Renee Southerland will get trophies for the Photograph awards after they have been voted on.
- As for Investigator of the Year, there have been no nominations yet.
- Todd DeSmet advised he would like to give Travis Rider his scholarship for the
conference since Travis was helping to secure the gun raffle item.
- A discussion was had concerning the gun options and that Travis Rider can get these at cost with no shipping. There is a diamondback 16-inch barrel for $530.00 and
for $490.00. Travis will check into these.
- A discussion was had concerning the coffee consumption and what would be paid
at this conference.
- Renee Southerland will check with Krystle Ross at the casino to find out if the
breakfast restaurant is now back open and, if not, what options we have for
- Todd DeSmet advised he has all of the documentation to submit to the ODA with
the exception of Dr. Albano’s presentation. Chris Woodall advised he would get
that information ASAP.
- There was also a social networking discussion and hospitality discussion which will
take place on Thursday evening during the conference.
- Marc Sutphin will double-check with the drum and pipe people to see if they will
come for the opening ceremonies.
- Chris Woodall wanted a notation added to the agenda blast that an executive
position would be open as well as two board positions.
- It was requested for Dan VanBuskirk, our IT guy, to change the August 1st deadline
for the photo awards to September 1st. 2
No update from the IRS concerning our tax returns that were filed and accepted.
At this time Bill Cathcart joined the meeting to discuss the changes and revisions being made to the Oklahoma Chapter Bylaws. Bill Cathcart discussed all of the revisions and changes that need to be made concerning when we have our monthly meetings and annual meetings and notes were taken to reflect those corrections. Renee Southerland will meet with Jesse Benne within one to two weeks to have those changes redlined and any other changes added so that the new revision can be sent out to the membership no later than 30 days prior to the conference to then be voted on at the Annual Conference.
Bill Cathcart also advised that on our Minutes form, Old Business and New Business needs to be switched listing New Business first and then Old Business. The form will be revised for the August meeting.
Bill Cathcart also stated the organization needs to have liability insurance. Chris Woodall advised he would talk with Yergey Insurance or someone with the International to find out who they use for their insurance purposes. He will also call other chapters, if needed, to find out who they use as well.
The Oklahoma Claims Association was discussed, and it was agreed that we would not attend the golf tournament on September 15th but some of us would try to attend the OCA conference itself and be a vendor on Friday, September 16th. This will take place at the Sheridan Reed Center in Midwest City at 8:00 a.m. Renee Southerland, Todd DeSmet, and Jonathan Wilk advised they could attend, but more are needed. It was discussed to bring two tool bags and one free membership for a business card drawing.
A discussion was had concerning board member positions available for next year and that Tim Reeves will roll off as well as Bill Hollander and Nick Nadeau. Ashley Stephens indicated he would nominate Chad Oubre as a first-year board member, and Chris Woodall suggested Tim Reeves run again for Second Vice.
The next two meetings were discussed and will be held as follows:
*Thursday, August 18, 2022, at 10:00 a.m. at the Grand Casino, in Shawnee, Oklahoma;
*Thursday, September 22, 2022, at 10:00 a.m. at the Grand Casino, in Shawnee, Oklahoma.
Ashley Stephens made a motion to adjourn the meeting, seconded by Todd DeSmet, motion carried and approved.