All posts by OKIAAI

02 Oct 2019

OKIAAI Board Minutes 10-2-19

Date: 10/2/19
Time: 10:00 a.m.
Location: Hard Rock Casino, Catoosa

Call to Order by President

President David VanBuskirk made the call to order.

Roll Call

Present: David VanBuskirk (Pres.), Bill Hollander (1st VP), Chris Woodall (2nd VP), Jim Wilhelm (3rd Yr.), Jonathan Wilk (3rd Yr.), Fred Henderson (2nd Yr.), Jeremy Robbins (2nd Yr.), Todd DeSmet (1st Yr.), Tim Reeves (1st Yr.), Neal Moore (Secretary Treasurer), and Renee Southerland (Executive Secretary).

Absent: Ashley Stephens (Past President), Jeremy Robbins (2nd year)

Reading and Approval of Minutes

Bill Hollander made the motion to forego the reading of the minutes from September. Seconded by Chris Woodall. Motion carried / approved.

New Membership

Will be determined after the conference is conducted.

Treasurer’s Report

Neal Moore has a balance of $15,431.69
Plus $600.00 (Vendors)
Plus $1,500.00 (Oklahoma Farm Bureau’s sponsor)
Plus $900.00 (NAFCO)
Available Balance: $18,431.69

Neal Moore has requested Bill Hollander to check to see who is getting the $900 NAFCO donation, whether it is our organization or Burn Camp, so that check will not be deposited until that has been determined. Fred Henderson made the motion to accept the balance, seconded by Tim Reeves, motion carried/approved.

Annual Conference

  • Mike McGee – will stay three nights
  • If vendors want to be on website, they need to send their logo
  • Make sure all speakers are confirmed
  • It is okay for Donnie Howard to attend all of the conference of the speaker
  • Add to the conference evaluation where they heard about the conference
  • It was discussed whether or not to go ahead and give the t-shirts to the attendees along with the duffle bag. It was voted on and the majority ruled to give the t-shirts out
  • It is okay to give the award check with the photo awards during the conference and not mail them out afterwards
  • An email will be sent out three days prior to the conference concerning the gun policy and that there is free valet parking
  • We advised Marianne 100 would attend the conference and to prepare for that amount for the food
  • Scott Rodgers will give a donation and Todd DeSmet will get the check from him
  • The day before the conference begins we need to organize a sack of thank you items for all of the vendors as well as the speakers
  • At the conference, every transaction needs to be done on square
  • Tim Reeves got a Pete Rose Baseball signed and is also providing a cornhole game to be raffled
  • As for the two prosecutors of the year – two designs were picked from the catalog for Renee Southerland to choose
  • As for a lifetime aware, it was voted on that Mark Mitchell would receive this. Chris Woodall made a motion to accept that nomination. Seconded by Fred Henderson, motion carried / approved
  • There needs to be a write-up for Mark Mitchell
  • We need two 3rds and a second Vice to run
  • For those attendees who also paid a membership fee on top of the conference fees, they will get a $20.00 bill refund at the conference
  • Photo awards were voted on and Jesse Benne received first place accidental and Travis Rider received second place for accidental.
  • Todd DeSmet will get the OID continuing education sign-in sheets
  • Ashley Stephens will get the sign-in sheets for CLEET and the Bar Association
  • Order long-sleeved shirts for day 2 of the conference with Midwest Trophy

A Motion was made conclude the meeting by Bill Hollander, seconded by Tim Reeves, motion carried / approved – no new meeting date set.

05 Sep 2019

OKIAAI Board Minutes 9-5-19

Date: 9/5/19
Time: 10:00 a.m.
Location: Hard Rock Casino, Catoosa

Call to order by President: David VanBuskirk made the call to order.

Roll Call:

Present: David VanBuskirk (Pres.) Chris Woodall (2nd VP), Jim Wilhelm (3rd Yr.), Jonathan Wilk (3rd Yr.), Fred Henderson (2nd Yr.), Jeremy Robbins (2nd Yr.), Todd DeSmet (1st Yr.), Neal Moore (Secretary Treasurer), Renee Southerland (Executive Secretary)

Absent: Ashley Stephens (Past President), Bill Hollander (1st VP), and Tim Reeves (1st Yr.)

Reading and Approval of Minutes:

Motion was made by Todd DeSmet and seconded by Jim Wilhelm to forego the reading of the Minutes. Motion carried / approved.

New Membership:

Treasurer’s Report:

Available Balance $12,490.34
Less $ 1,372.00 (remainder of shirt cost)
Less $ 1,000.00 (Magalassi)
Less $ 2,700.00 (Burn Camp)
Plus $ 300.00 (Rimkus vendor)
Less $ 660.00 (Hasty Bake reimbursement)
Less $ 150.00 (Dan VanBuskirk)
Remaining Future Balance $ 7,057.49

Annual Conference:

  • CLEET, ODI, and OBA hours have been approved for continuing education
  • We need the letter from Bill Hollander to go along with the Hard Rock certificate for the giveaway.
  • Farm Bureau has agreed to sponsor lunch on Wednesday the 23rdfor $1500.00. Mexican will be chosen. Renee to make a OKIAAI donation receipt after the check is written.
  • Burn Camp donation from 2018 will be given to the Burn Camp representative when they speak at the conference.
  • Investigator of the Year – Billy has three investigators with Canadian County District Attorney’s Office that will be nominated.
  • Lifetime member – No requests have been made yet.
  • Photo contest nomination – Need to judge at next meeting – have received one photo from Travis Rider due to lightning strike but wants it to be in the accidental category.
  • Todd DeSmet will use his scholarship for the Conference for David Massey with Farm Bureau.
  • Third Blast needs to be sent in September with weapon information and a map of the conference area.
  • Jonathan reached out to Blackmon Mooring and Firetroll about sponsor / vendor and to call Chris Woodall if they are interested.
  • David VanBuskirk will call Mary Ann Dunn with Hard Rock regarding the food being sponsored by Farm Bureau and to work out details concerning conference details about tables, audio video, time of arrival on Tuesday, etc. Mary Ann will need a “Banquet Event Order” filled out to detail what is needed and to add the ticket spinner as well.
  • It was discussed that Fred Henderson would speak with the security guy at the Hard Rock concerning the pre-authorization procedure for carrying service weapons during the conference, or the firearm not be brought at all, as the Hard Rock’s policy is no guns. If a service weapon does need to be brought to the conference then a weapon procedure with Hard Rock will need to be followed.
  • The conference room was reviewed again – might be issues with loud music and where to put the registration tables – that will be worked out with Mary Ann.
  • Todd announced that the Oklahoma Claims Association has an upcoming conference on Friday, September 20thand he is allowed to set up a booth free for OKIAAI. There will be a drawing from business cards to give away a free membership to the OKIAAI upcoming year. The conference is at the Reed Center in Midwest City from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. He is requesting that two members be present. Jonathan Wilk, Jim Wilhelm and Jeremy Robbins advised they might be able to attend. Chris Woodall will already be there with a booth. Renee will attend with Todd DeSmet and make a presentation board announcing the conference for the OKIAAI and can possibly print registrations from an iPad if anyone is interested in registering for the conference that day. Todd requested that the second email Blast and the agenda be sent to him so he could print those out for the conference.
  • Todd DeSmet advised since the Oklahoma Claims Association is giving us a booth free at their conference they, in turn, want a booth free at our OKIAAI conference. Motion was made by Neal Moore and seconded by Jeremy Robbins, motion carried / approved.
  • Marke from Hard Rock gave a printout of those who had registered at the hotel so far.
  • Chris Woodall has not received a response from Grace Industries for vendorship and a couple of others are up in the air.
  • Jim Wilhelm advised his Union in Cushing is going to provide a $500 donation.
  • Jeremy Robbins will call Blackmon Mooring.
  • While at the Board Meeting David VanBuskirk called Mary Ann after Marke left to clarify the food cost as if $1,000 is provided for food cost then our room cost is only $300 a day. This does not include audio-visual costs.
  • Neal Moore advised more sponsors are needed to defray the cost of the conference rooms.
  • Renee needs to get with Midwest Trophy concerning Lifetime Award member (if there is one), Investigator of the Year, and add the label to the plaque for the past President for 2019, David VanBuskirk.

Regional Conference: None

Nominating: None

Membership: Current membership count unknown.

CFI: Tim Reeves and David VanBuskirk passed the test. Jonathon Wilk took his test the morning of this meeting.

Website: Needs to be revised to distinguish between being a member only paying $20.00 and registering for the Conference which includes membership already. People have been paying for both and the additional $20.00 needs to be refunded to each.

Old Business:

New Business:

Next Meeting: Wednesday, October 2ndat 10:00 a.m. at the Hard Rock. Mary Ann and security personnel will attend this meeting but can only do so at 11:00 a.m.

A Motion was made by Jeremy Robbins to adjourn, seconded by Jim Wilhelm, motion carried / approved.

13 Aug 2019

OKIAAI Board Minutes 8-13-19

Date:8/13/19
Time: 10:15 a.m.
Location: Cathcart & Dooley, Oklahoma City

Call to order by President: David VanBuskirk made the call to order.

Roll Call:

Present: Ashley Stephens (Past President), David VanBuskirk (Pres.) Bill Hollander (1st VP), Chris Woodall (2nd VP), Jim Wilhelm (3rd Yr.), Jonathan Wilk (3rd Yr.), Fred Henderson (2nd Yr.), Jeremy Robbins (2nd Yr.), Todd DeSmet (1st Yr.), Renee Southerland (Executive Secretary)

Absent: Neal Moore (Secretary Treasurer) and Tim Reeves (1st Yr.)

Reading and Approval of Minutes: Bill Hollander made the Motion to approve the July Minutes, seconded by Jeremy Robbins, motion carried and approved.

New Membership: Five paid for the conference/membership – no approval needed since they were past members.

Treasurer’s Report: Jeremy Robbins made the motion to postpone the Treasurer’s Report until the next meeting in September since Neal was absent. Seconded by Bill Hollander, motion carried and approved.

Annual Conference:

  • Everyone agreed to go ahead and add the new logo patch to the shirts that were ordered from Midwest Trophy for the conference.
  • CLEET CE, OBIC, and OBA CLE will be turned in to get the hours approved.
  • Bill Hollander advised that Donny Howard did not need a room and Jason Albano was told to get his own room and would be reimbursed.
  • Bill Hollander will get Marke to send a list of speaker rooms that have been registered so far.
  • Bill Hollander is still awaiting the Phillip 66 donation.
  • Chris Woodall said that Grace Industries wants to add a postcard to our registration table and will pay $200 to do this. Chris will get with her and advise that our sponsor fee is $300 and not $200.
  • Todd DeSmet suggested that Grace Industries donate $200 to Tulsa Pipe and Drum Corp instead of paying $300 since we need to pay $200 to the Pipe Corp anyway.
  • Jeremy Robbins is still trying to get two $75.00 gift cards from Walmart and will ask for them in August.
  • Fred Henderson and John have tried to get donations but have not been able to obtain anything as of yet.
  • David VanBuskirk will get three to four Head Country gift baskets and can also get big bottles of the BBQ sauce.
  • Bill Hollander will call Marke regarding the certificate that is needed from the Hard Rock for the giveaway.
  • Todd DeSmet will check with OID regarding check-in sheets.
  • Chris Woodall will check with OBA regarding check-in sheets.
  • Bill Hollander will check with Marke to make sure we can get in the conference room early on Tuesday before the conference starts.
  • As for monetary photo awards, a Motion was made by Jeremy Robbins to pay $50 for first place in each category and $25 for second place in each category. This was seconded by Neal, motion carried and approved. Dan will add this into the website.
  • We still need a lunch sponsor to help defray the cost of the conference room.
  • Rimkus is paying $300 for sponsorship and the check should be mailed by September 2nd.
  • David VanBuskirk suggested a $15 voucher to use to eat to go towards the conference fee amount.
  • Dan Van Buskirk’s invoice of $85.00 needs to be paid.
  • Chris Woodall needs to know how to do continuing education certificate with only a one-day attendance as well as making a certificate of attendance with tested on it.
  • David VanBuskirk to bring lanyards to next meeting for Renee Southerland.

Regional Conference: No information.

CFI: Jonathan Wilk and Tim Reeves will take their test in September.

Website: Dan will change the conference to be 65thinstead of 66thbased on past information reviewed on the thumb drive.

Old Business:

The burn camp funds from the prior conference of 2018 need to be provided to the burn camp sponsor. David VanBuskirk will call him and attempt to arrange for him to come to our September meeting and will ask the sponsor if they can put us on their website.

New Business:

Next Meeting: Thursday, September 5, 2019, 10:00 a.m. at Hard Rock to finalize conference information and review of facilities again and sort out any food details.

A Motion was made by Fred Henderson to adjourn, seconded by Chris Woodall, motion carried / approved.

07 May 2019

OKIAAI Board Minutes 5-7-19

OKIAAI BOARD MINUTES

Date: May 7, 2019
Time: 9:30 a.m.
Location: Cathcart & Dooley, 2807 Classen Boulevard, Oklahoma City, OK

Call to order by President: President David VanBuskirk made the call to order.

Roll Call:

Present: Ashley Stephens (Past President) David VanBuskirk (Pres.), Bill Hollander (1st VP), Chris Woodall (2nd VP), Fred Henderson (2nd year), Jeremy Robbins (2nd year), Todd DeSmet (1st Yr.), Tim Reeves (1st Yr.), Jim Wilhelm (3rd year), Neal Moore (Secretary Treasurer) Renee Southerland (Executive Secretary)

Not in Attendance: Jonathan Wilk (3rd yr)

Special Guest: None

Reading and Approval of Minutes: Motion made by Neal Moore to forego the reading of the prior Minutes, seconded by Ashley Stephens, motion carried/approved.

New Membership: None

Treasurer’s Report: Neal Moore advised $17,249.27 is our current balance. Deposits were made from matching burn camp funds. Motion made by Tim Reeves to approve bank account balance, seconded by Bill Hollander. Motion carried / approved.

Secretary’s Report: None

Committee Reports: None

Annual Conference:

  • Bill Hollander – Discussed that Dave Walker would not return his phone calls, Donnie Howard could speak for four to eight hours about forensic fire deaths, and the burn camp speaker could speak for one hour. Bill requested that the Tulsa Fire Chief or the Mayor of Tulsa do the welcoming and that either Bartlesville Honor Guard or Tulsa Police Department bring the bag pipes. Ashley will check with the Honor Guard, the Tulsa Police Department and check with the Fire Chief for the opening remarks. In this order it will be: Opening Ceremonies, Opening Speaker, and then the Burn Camp Speaker.
  • Todd DeSmet – Todd has confirmed Mark Wenthold from the NICV to speak on equipment theft / fire and auto theft, and he will also have VIN decoding books that he can pass out. He has also confirmed Mike McGee from EFI to speak on Infotainment Center in vehicles, which is what information you can obtain from Bluetooth in vehicles.
  • David Vanbuskirk – David will check with Terri Crawford of the OSBI as a back-up speaker possibly Friday. Dr. Albano will be speaking on a mental health topic.
  • Renee Southerland – Renee has confirmed Harvey Pratt to speak on forensic art.

* * *

A discussion was had about the initial contract given by the Hard Rock to Bill Hollander. Bill and David will be meeting with the Hard Rock on Friday, May 10thto negotiate the following items in the contract:

  • Negotiate a later date than October 1stto book rooms
  • Need a check out time of Noon instead of 11:00 a.m.
  • Need water provided
  • Need to negotiate a lesser amount of rooms than 183

Ashley made the Motion for David and Bill to negotiate these items with the Hard Rock, and if they could not be negotiated to sign the contract as it was. Seconded by Neal. Motion carried / approved.

Bill also advised the Hardrock is providing a hospitality room off of Bill Hollander’s room that the Board can use to meet during the conference if needed.

It was also decided that once the agenda was nailed down for the conference that all presentation material by the speakers would need to be provided by July 1, 2019. We would need a PowerPoint file, slides, handouts, biographies and anything else they would reference.

Regional Conference: Tim Reeves went and said vendors were local from the area, discussion about the speakers was had, as well as how they traded challenge coins.

Nominating: No information

Membership: Current membership count – 85 attended the last conference in 2018.

CFI: Tim Reeves received CFI.

Website: We need Dan to make additional changes to the website as follows:

  • Add Jacob Stangl as receiving second place / accidental and photo
  • Update the fees on the website for attending the conference as they increased $10.00 per day
  • Add conference information once it is confirmed with David VanBuskirk and Bill Hollander meeting with the Hard Rock representative on May 10th
  • Minutes from November 2018 to the present need to be added
  • Add new photographs to the website for a more dynamic look

Old Business:

  • Will send email blast out about the conference by mid-May which would include the location, conference dates, reserving your room, and that the conference would be for fire service / law enforcement / investigators / insurance industries / prosecutors and to also list our website.
  • Will decide at the next meeting in June what items / clothing to potentially order for the annual conference
  • The Secretary / Treasurer language for each of those respective positions was agreed upon by the board. A Motion was made by Tim Reeves to accept the new language prepared by David VanBuskirk, seconded by Jim Robbins. Motion carried / approved.

New Business:

  • We need to check with 511 and compare their prices to what Midwest Trophy’s prices are on the apparel and items they have provided complementary to our Board so that we can get the items on order by June for the conference.

Next Meeting: Tuesday, June 11, 2019, at 9:30 a.m. at the Tulsa Farm Bureau Office.

Motion made by Ashley Stephens to adjourn the meeting, seconded by Neal Moore. Motion carried / approved.

26 Mar 2019

OKIAAI Board Minutes 3-26-19

Date: March 26, 2019
Time: 9:33am
Location: Oklahoma Farm Bureau, 10777 South Memorial Drive, Tulsa, OK

Call to Order: President David VanBuskirk made the call to order.

Roll Call:

Present: Ashley Stephens (Past President) David VanBuskirk (Pres.), Bill Hollander (1stVP), Chris Woodall (2ndVP), Jonathan Wilk (3rdyr), Todd DeSmet (1stYr.), Tim Reeves (1stYr.), Neal Moore (Secretary Treasurer) Renee Southerland (Executive Secretary)

Not in Attendance: Jim Wilhelm (3rdyear), Fred Henderson (2ndyear), Jeremy Robbins (2ndyear)

Special Guest: None

Reading and Approval of Minutes: Neal suggested to add in who was not present at the next Minutes. Ashley Stephens made the motion to approve the February Minutes, seconded by Tim Reeves. Motion carried / approved.  

New Membership:  None 

Treasurer’s Report: Neal Moore advised $16,189.27 is our current balance, but he has yet to make two deposits.  Motion made by Ashley Stephens to approve bank account balance, seconded by Chris Woodall, motion carried / approved.  

Secretary’s Report: None 

Committee Reports: None

Annual Conference:

Bill Hollander has calls into Albanco and Donnie Howard regarding speaking on forensic fire deaths.  He and Tim Reeves went to a few places, Double Tree in downtown Tulsa, the Hard Rock, and Embassy Suites.  All are somewhat comparable but have pros and cons.  Will send an email with further information to vote on.  

Jonathan Wilk called TCC and it is $200 a day for the conference room which includes audio visual, but you would have to coordinate with Tulsa Fire Training to do a burn.  He is waiting on additional information, but a hotel would not be needed since the conference would be at TCC.  

Todd Desmet confirmed that Mark Winthold can speak for two hours and Mike McGee can speak for two to four hours on Infotainment Center on a vehicle.  We would need to provide his travel expenses only. Todd Desmet did try to reach out to Sticks Larsen but not return call yet.  Ashley Stephens will contact him and see if he will speak one to two hours. 

Bill Hollander has not yet called Dave Walker, but he would need to be advised on what he would speak about from a homicide standpoint and how to share information back and forth.  We would need him for one hour.  

David VanBuskirk advised Barry will speak and needs ideas and we will send him ideas, but Barry needs to commit for at least 8 hours.  David also called another lady at the OSBI for logistics and cell phone pings and cell phone tower language who could speak for approximately two hours.  

Renee Southerland contacted Harvey Pratt for a one to two hour slot, but he needs to know which day because he has other commitments with the Smithsonian.  

Jonathan Wilk suggested contacting Miles King with OSBI that has information on drones.  

Neal Moore suggested contacting a marijuana speaker about fires in grow facilities.  

Ashley Stephens will call agents at ATF in Colorado to come speak.  

* * *

By the next Board meeting we need to decide where the conference will be. Bill Hollander advised that Scotty is not in charge of the burn camp and need the name of that new person at the next meeting.  

Regional Conference: A question was asked if OKIAAI needed to get involved to sponsor.

Nominating: None

Membership: Current membership count – 85 attended the last conference in 2018.

CFI: Mike Schatz got CFI after the last OKIAAI conference.  

Website: 

Old Business:

  1. Midwest Trophy Shirts: The Board will decide two to three months before the conference as to what items to order to give away for those attending the conference.
  2. Photo Award Checks: Received by Neal and will send out to award recipients, Stangl and Zalewski.
  3. Website Invoices: Will pay.
  4. IAAI Conference Registration: Chris Woodall will go and we will reimburse expenses / Tim Reeves is going and is sponsored by the Tribe.
  5. Gift Card: $100 was paid by Neal Moore to Renee Southerland for Janice Menser=s gift card.
  6. Insurance Credits from OBA: Not resolved yet. David VanBuskirk has reached out to Vandola.  For this year going forward Chris Woodall will handle OBA and Ashley Stephens will handle CLEET and Todd Desmet will hand the Insurance Commissioner for credits.

New Business

  1. Flyer: Tim Reeves started a flyer for non-profit. The handout was passed out, can use it when asking for donations.  Tim will send to the Board after Billy Magalassi fund is added.
  2. Discuss and vote on new Secretary and Treasurer language: David VanBuskirk will have to change the language for it to be Secretary only and Treasurer only.  David will make changes and submit regarding Section 6 and Section 7.
  3. Vote on Approval for SSL website change: The website was cleaned up by Dan VanBuskirk because it was hacked.  David suggested for his brother, Dan VanBuskirk, to maintain the computer website with SSL security and for continuing maintenance by Dan at $85.00 an hour.  Motion made by Bill Hollander to accept this, Neal Moore seconded, Motion carried and approved.
  4. New plaque from Midwest Trophy: Will be done by next meeting.
  5. IAAI Invoices by International: David VanBuskirk checking on how the International is coming along with their new system to do invoicing for State Chapters.
  6. Email Blast: Will be adding Department of Insurance Adjusters=emails during the month of April and then can send out email blast at the end of April or into May for the next Chapter meeting in October.
  7. Annual Conference Fee: It was suggested by Renee Southerland to increase the conference fee since the amount that was on the website versus the amount that was on the past billings were different. A discussion was made to increase the conference by $10.00 for each day.  David VanBuskirk will check again about payments being made online, even though we are supposed to approve each member, but we might could accept payment and then refund if we do not want to approve them.
  8. Conference Information: Bill Hollander wanted to know how to stay active with Rimkus since Chris Woodall no longer works there so that we can get a sponsorship from them during the next conference.

Next Meeting:

Tuesday, May 7, 2019, at 10:00 a.m. at Cathcart & Dooley, 2807 North Classen Boulevard, Oklahoma City, Oklahoma. 

Motion made by Bill Hollander to adjourn the meeting, seconded by Ashley Stephens. Motion carried.