Date: March 9, 2022
Time: 10:09 am
Location: Cathcart & Dooley Law Firm, OKC, OK
Call to Order
Made by President Chris Woodall
Absent at Meeting: Tim Reeves (3rd yr.), Nick Nadeau (3rd yr.)
Present at Meeting: Chris Woodall (Pres.), Ashley Stephens (1st VP), Todd DeSmet (2nd VP), Tim Reeves (3rd yr.), Steve Rhodes (2nd yr.), Jesse Benne (2nd yr.), Marc Sutphin (1st yr.), Gina Coleman (1st yr.), Renee Southerland (Secretary), Jonathan Wilk (Treasurer), Bill Hollander (Past Pres.) – by phone
Reading and Approval of Minutes
Chris Woodall made a motion to forego the reading of the January minutes, seconded by Todd DeSmet, motion carried and approved.
Two prospects had requested membership: David Craig from the Cherokee County Sheriff’s Office, and Jamie DuBose from Bethany Fire Dept. Todd DeSmet made a motion to accept Mr. Craig’s membership, seconded by Gina Coleman, motion carried and approved. Jesse Benne made a motion to accept Ms. DuBose’s membership, seconded by Todd DeSmet, motion carried and approved.
Jonathan Wilk advised we had $18,139.04 in the bank account but nothing had been transferred over from PayPal (if anything in PayPal) since the January meeting, but he will check and see if anything needs to be transferred over. Jesse Benne made a motion to accept the Treasurer’s Report, seconded by Marc Sutphin, motion carried and approved.
Jesse Benne is working on his CFI
Renee Southerland advised that Dan VanBuskirk made a few changes to the website to make it easier in paying for the conference and dues. It is now easier for department heads or the accounting dept to identify if they are paying for more than one individual to come to the conference and to identify the names of those attending instead of just a lump-sum payment being made for, say, five people without knowing who those five people are. There is still an error on one of the web pages which Dan VanBuskirk had advised was fixed but Renee will get with him to correct the error.
- Chris Woodall and Jonathan Wilk went to the New Mexico IAAI Conference and there were about 40 people that attended. This conference was Monday through Friday with food and a banquet provided as well as a Top Golf outing. It was approximately $350 for the whole week.
- A discussion was had concerning Teresa Rigby doing her wildland FI210 class which could be hosted here in 2022 or 2023.
- A discussion was had concerning the ticket cost for a gun giveaway. Ashley Stephens advised we could give them a certificate to FFL but they would need to pass the background check. In the past, our organization has given a gun away with the stock off. Another option is to engrave our logo on the stock.
- Todd DeSmet will check with Travis Rider at Farm Bureau regarding an AR or Remington 870 giveaway.
- Renee Southerland suggested that besides board members trying to secure items to give away during the raffle for the burn camp, that she be allowed to go ahead and spend $200 of the organization’s money and buy items from Sam’s, Academy, etc., for additional items to be given away during the raffle. Bill Hollander made a motion for Renee Southerland to spend $300 instead of $200, Ashley Stephens seconded, motion carried and approved.
- Jonathan Wilk advised that he has not yet received a return call from the Department of Corrections on our grill, fire ring and glider order. Bill Hollander advised he had ordered a grill and it was ready within 60 days. Jonathan Wilk advised he would travel to the corrections department to check on our order in person prior to the next meeting.
- Jesse Benne advised he would check with his dad regarding the cost of a couple of fire pits as he can make those as well.
- Ashley Stephens advised that the agenda right now will include social media exploitation at 4 hours, riots/civil unrest/fires at 4 hours, IAAI health and safety committee by Jeff Pauley also at 4 hours, a case study at 2 hours, and a case study being done by Dave Hollman at 2 hours, and mental health by Dr. Albano on Friday for 2 hours. A discussion and explanation of each of these topics was then had.
- Todd DeSmet will check with the OCA regarding us having a vendor booth.
- There was a discussion had concerning having a hospitality night on Thursday night during our conference from 5:00 p.m. to ? Renee Southerland will call Krystal concerning how to get that scheduled.
- It was discussed that Stephanie from Blackmon Mooring would like to be a vendor at this year’s conference and Renee Southerland will call her.
- Chris Woodall will check with Dr. Albano regarding this cost and attendance at the conference.
- A discussion was had about the coffee that would be ordered at the conference and this discussion was tabled until it gets closer to the conference.
- Renee Southerland advised that the Casino will let us have our board meeting there in May or June so that we can see the new conference meeting room which has been built and decide if we want the new room for our conference or to keep the room we used for the conference in 2021.
- It was discussed again that every board member needs to check with businesses or people they know that might be willing to give something away at the conference.
- Renee Southerland advised that she needed to send the email blast out by at least the end of April or beginning of May and would need the full agenda by then.
Chris Woodall advised his wife stated her firm (Michael Doyle, CPA) will be working on our paperwork for reinstatement and they will do the last three years of tax returns in hopes of getting our 501(c)3 reinstated.
Jesse Benne suggested possibly using the Burn Camp’s 501(c)3 to get donations but doing so might muddy the waters since any donations we get go back to the Burn Camp anyway. Chris Woodall will check with the tax firm for their recommendation on this request.
At this time the board discussed several changes in the wording to our Oklahoma chapter bylaws from review of the International bylaws regarding classifications of memberships. Those changes will be made by Jesse Benne and will then be forwarded to Renee Southerland for Bill Cathcart to review.
Jonathan Wilk stated since Fred was retired he would like to nominate him for the Lifetime Award and the nomination was made. Seconded by Todd DeSmet. Motion carried and approved.
The next meeting will be on Thursday, April 21, 2022, at 10:00 a.m. at the offices of Farm Bureau, located at 1077 South Memorial Drive, Tulsa, Oklahoma.
A motion was made by Bill Hollander to adjourn the meeting, seconded by Marc Sutphin, motion carried and approved.