Date: June 9, 2021
Time: 10:30 a.m.
Location: Grand Casino, Shawnee
Call to order by President
Made by President, Bill Hollander
Present: David VanBuskirk (Past Pres.), Chris Woodall (1st VP), Tim Reeves (2nd Yr.), Todd DeSmet (2nd Yr.), Steve Rhodes (1st Yr.), Renee Southerland (Secretary), Jonathan Wilk (Treasurer)
Absent: Bill Hollander (Pres.), Ashley Stephens (2nd VP), Fred Henderson (3rd Yr.), Jeremy Robbins (3rd Yr.), Jim Wilhelm (1st Yr.)
Reading and Approval of Minutes
Tim Reeves made a motion to forego the reading and approval of Minutes, seconded by Todd DeSmet. Motion carried and approved.
No new members
Current balance is $14,465.41 per Jonathan Wilk. Renee provided him with a $300 check received at the Post Office from vendor AdvantaClean. Jonathan advised he still needs to deposit the $500 check we received last month from Integrity for raffle items to be purchased. The new balance includes a $5.00 fee and the Go-Daddy payment of $83.88. Tim Reeves made a motion to accept the Treasurer’s report, seconded by Todd DeSmet. Motion carried and approved.
Steve Rhodes and David Bealls received their CFIs.
Dan VanBuskirk adds the Minutes monthly for the prior months as the Minutes are approved at each Board Meeting. He also changed photo award amounts on the website.
- A discussion was had concerning the clarification of vendors versus sponsors and the forms and costs.
- Renee sent out the vendor / sponsor forms via email to all of the potential vendors and sponsors from the OCA conference.
- Sherry Montes sent a vendor form and needs to make a credit card payment over the phone. Chris Woodall will call to get that from her.
- AdvantaClean sent a $300 payment for a vendorship, however, the check had Chris Woodall’s name on it also. Jonathan will go ahead and try to cash it. If the bank will not accept it, AdvantaClean will produce a new check.
- Chris Woodall has been calling all speakers for speaking materials and is trying to get all of those materials that Todd DeSmet needs by the end of June. He will also work on the agenda. Todd will email Chris as to exactly what is needed.
- Mike Custer will speak on Smart Homes / appliances and EVs and Chris would like to have a new EV at the conference. Jonathan will check on this and Jeremy also possibly has a lead at a dealership.
- Discussion was had regarding who is speaking on what date and what time.
- Sign-in sheets for ODI, OBA and CLEET need to be prepared and ready for the conference.
- Chris Woodall was contacted by Edward Roberts with Forensics as Edward Roberts is president and has a couple of presentations to teach a one-to-two-hour class at the conference concerning fire investigation and case studies referencing fires in Texas. He also presented at the International Conference.
- Dave called the State Fire Marshal’s office and confirmed that Chief Bryant cannot do the keynote speech at the conference as he will be enrolled in CLEET classes but stated that if the CLEET classes are online he could do the keynote speech. He would not know if the classes are online until closer to the conference.
- Jonathan Wilk suggested Eric Harlow as an option for keynote with the OSFA.
- Chris Woodall suggested someone in the industry or law enforcement to do the keynote.
- Todd DeSmet stated he would contact Glen Mulberry with the Insurance Commissioner’s office to see if he could do the keynote speech.
- David VanBuskirk suggested the Tribe affiliated with the casino would be a good option to present the colors. Krystle from the casino was called into the meeting to discuss and she will try to find the number and provide it and do some research to see if there was a Color Guard with the Tribe.
- Chris Woodall asked if OSFA had a drum and pipe corp.
- Renee Southerland asked Chris Woodwall to determine if any of the speakers need rooms to be booked at the hotel and Chris will check.
- Chris Woodall will also contact Cameron Novak at David VanBuskirk’s suggestion to possibly speak at the conference. He will advise Cameron of our agenda and case studies.
- We also asked Krystle what were the weapons policies at the casino and she will check and advise on that.
- Krystle also advised that the Food Court with six different cuisines will be open by October.
- Jonathan Wilk discussed getting raffle items from the Department of Corrections inmate program and advised that some of the items are on backlog due to a material shortage. He advised if anything was custom made for the conference, we might not receive it in time. He requested a limit to spend and will go ahead and buy for the conference as the store is located in Oklahoma City. A discussion was had for Jonathan to spend up to $1,000 if needed. Todd DeSmet made a motion for Jonathan to spend up to $1,000 at DOC for giveaways, in particular for the deck swing and fire ring. Seconded by Dave VanBuskirk. Motion was carried and approved.
- Renee Southerland is to call Curtis Ozment to request that he and Conner go ahead and buy their raffle items instead of providing a $500 check as Custis wanted to know what items would be purchased with that money.
- Tim Reeves will check on his contact for the TV raffle item.
- It was discussed that Renee Southerland could buy the two football cases online for the two footballs she had signed by the OSU and OU coaches.
- Renee Southerland will check with Bill Cathcart concerning calling American Farmers and Ranchers Insurance Company for a donation for either lunch or snacks.
- A lunch discussion was had concerning providing a lunch or giving a voucher instead. It was decided to discuss this closer to the conference.
- Jonathan Wilk provided the tool bag prices from 5.11. We can get the bags for half price. 140 bags would be approximately $3000. It was discussed that Jonathan offer a free vendor space for the 5.11 guy if we purchased those bags. Jonathan also looked around the 5.11 store for other items, but they were somewhat expensive.
- Todd DeSmet suggested that maybe part of the 5.11 price include some of the amount going to burn camp.
- Chris Woodall suggested to get the tool bags in all three colors of brown, black and green or only get one color for the conference giveaways.
- David VanBuskirk made a motion for Jonathan Wilk to go ahead and buy the bags, seconded by Steve Rhodes, motion carried and approved.
- Todd DeSmet texted his Farm Bureau contact to get a $1500 donation for a lunch.
- David VanBuskirk suggested for Dan to list on the main page a banner to enter the photo contest and that the award amounts have increased.
- Todd DeSmet requested the end of June to be the goal to get all of the documents needed to him to turn into ODI. Same goal applies for CLEET and OBA.
- Chris Woodall advised the tax office said that everyone is getting the runaround from the IRS and it is not looking good for us to get tax exempt status done for this year.
- There was a discussion concerning lifetime membership awards and credentials.
- The OCA conference is September 16-17 at the same golf course in Midwest City as it was during 2019. The golf tournament is the first day. Todd DeSmet advised we get a free booth if we extend the same for OCA to have a free booth at our conference. Some of us will attend the day of the golf tournament.
- A discussion was had concerning scholarships to be given at the conference since each board member has one scholarship to give. Todd DeSmet wanted to give his to David Massey. Renee Southerland advised she would check and see what kind of certificate was done for Bryan Dye in 2019. David is also giving a scholarship to Bryan Dye again this year.
The next meeting will be Thursday, July 22, 2021, at 10:00 a.m. at Farm Bureau in Tulsa.