Date: Tuesday, September 22, 2020
Time: 10:15 a.m.
Location: Tulsa, Oklahoma
Call to order by President
Made by President Bill Hollander
PRESENT: Bill Hollander (Pres.), David VanBuskirk (Past Pres.), Chris Woodall (1st VP), Ashley Stephens (2nd VP), Fred Henderson (3rd yr.), Tim Reeves (2nd Yr.), Todd DeSmet (2nd yr.), Renee Southerland (Secretary)
ABSENT: Jonathan Wilk (1st yr.) Jim Wilhelm (1st yr.) Jeremy Robbins (3rd yr.)
Reading and Approval of Minutes
Ashley Stephens made the Motion to forego the reading of the Minutes, seconded by Tim Reeves. Motion carried and approved.
James Nelson, Interim Chief of McLoud Fire Department. Tim Reeves made the Motion to approve his membership, seconded by David VanBuskirk. Motion carried and approved.
No report to provide. David VanBuskirk made the Motion to suspend the Treasurer’s report until the next meeting, seconded by Bill Hollander. Motion carried and approved. Fred Henderson advised that he and Jonathan Wilk would be meeting with Neal Moore to get the Treasurer information, since Neal has resigned and will be providing a resignation letter.
Dan VanBuskirk is now in possession of a disk of photos from David VanBuskirk of the last conference and will be posting photos on the website soon.
- David VanBuskirk would like to push for us getting giveaways and to go ahead and get them ordered. He has called 511 for ideas and also advised that Truspec has hoodies for $35.00.
- Tim Reeves talked to Wal-Mart regarding clearance items of hunting items to be given away as raffle items.
- David VanBuskirk also suggested be watching for clearance items, especially in reference to a Black Stone griddle to be given away as a raffle item.
- Renee Southerland advised that Curtis stated he would donate for this coming conference, but since it was cancelled he will donate for the next conference. She has the OU football already signed by Lincoln Riley and the OSU football signed by Mike Gundy. She suggested that the soft tee shirts be given away to the members at the next conference for those who attend.
- Tim Reeves will check into Challenge Coins to be given away at the conference to the paid members as well.
- Todd DeSmet suggested to ask every member to donate a coin from their department and we could display the coins on a case as a raffle item. David VanBuskirk suggested giving five tickets for each coin that was provided.
- Todd DeSmet also advised that one of the gentlemen that we met at the golf tournament for the Oklahoma Claims Association worked at Copart and said he could get us an electric car for display.
- Bill Hollander suggested Ashley Stephens speak in reference to the McGirt case. Ashley agreed that he would do so.
- Tim Reeves also mention that we received business cards at the golf tournament from prospects for possible vendorships next year. He also advised that Scott Rodgers mentioned that Ryder Truck is putting out 80 fleet trucks in December that will be electric and commissioned through Tesla, so be watching for Ryder electric truck fires.
- Chris Woodall advised that the tax company he is dealing with tried to resubmit our 501(c)(3) and the IRS would not accept it. His tax lady was advised that no tax returns had been filed for our organization since 2014 when Dale Wade left. Apparently, we need to file tax returns from that point forward or completely start over. She is checking into it. Our tax exempt was revoked in May of 2008.
- Chris Woodall advised that Mac Smith, CPA, set up the original non-profit and Chris will call him.
- Fred Henderson will call Dale Wade to see if he has any of the corporation / non- profit paperwork.
- Todd DeSmet said that Curtis called him regarding the Billy Magalassi fund and Ashley Stephens advised it was an automatic payment each year to that fund of $1,000. We did sent payment last year to the foundation.
- David VanBuskirk made a Motion for Jonathan Wilk to be interim Treasurer until the resignation letter was received from Neal Moore. Bill Hollander advised that no letter had been received from Neal to date and Fred Henderson will call Neal concerning the resignation.
- Ashley Stephens indicated the hesitation from the last meeting was due to Bill Hollander not being present even though he had received a verbal resignation from Neal Moore.
- Bill Hollander officially appointed Jonathan Wilk as Treasurer going forward as he confirmed he did receive a verbal resignation from Neal Moore.
- Bill Hollander advised that Neal Moore has been an asset to the association and requested he be given a lifetime membership going forward at the next conference. Ashley Stephens made a Motion for Neal to receive that lifetime award, seconded by Fred Henderson. Motion carried and approved. Fred will advise Neal of this award so that he can attend the next conference in October 2021.
- David VanBuskirk made a Motion to reimburse Todd DeSmet for the beer that was purchased for the Oklahoma Claims Association Golf Tournament. Fred Henderson seconded the Motion. Motion carried and approved.
- Renee Southerland advised that she and Jonathan Wilk met with Arvest Bank on the previous Monday and had a new account opened using Jonathan’s money of $100 since we have not yet received any funds from the Stillwater National Bank account that Neal Moore was operating. Neal is to get that account closed.
- Renee Southerland also advised that she received a letter from Southern Farm Bureau in Arkansas that their $400 check (that was written in September of 2019) for two of their claim reps to attend the conference in October of 2019 was never cashed. Fred Henderson will check to see if Neal Moore still has that check, as Renee Southerland had given it to Neal.
- Renee Southerland advised that Burn Camp sent a thank you letter for the $5200.00 check they received from the last conference from the raffle proceeds.
- David VanBuskirk suggested to add a tab on the website about the Burn Camp and list the donors that give to the Burn Camp each year and to have Dan VanBuskirk post the photos from the last conference for this particular tab.
- Renee Southerland suggested that we get generic OKIAAI business cards for everyone to have available to hand out when needed. Bill Hollander made the Motion to have those business cards made, Chriss Woodall seconded the Motion. Motion carried and approved.
- Renee Southerland also advised that Sonnie Maughan from Rimkus wants to be reimbursed their $300 vendor fee that was going to be used for this year’s conference. Renee saw her at the golf tournament and advised her a check would be sent within thirty to sixty days after the new Treasurer got the new bank account opened and funds in the account.
- Tim Reeves suggested a golf tournament for the day before the conference for next year in October. Discussion was had. David VanBuskirk advised the golf tournament would be a great thing but we would need a sponsor to chair it and organize it, as that is something our organization has not done.
- Bill Hollander stated he would like to appoint Steve Rhoades for First Year to take Jonathan Wilk’s place. Ashley Stevens called him during the meeting and he formally accepted as the First Year Board member. Ashley will provide the email address to Renee Southerland so that she can add him in the Minutes and to the website.
Next meeting will be on Thursday, October 22, at 10:00 a.m. at Oklahoma Farm Bureau at 10777 South Memorial Road in Tulsa. Ashley Stephens made the Motion to adjourn, seconded by Tim Reeves. Motion carried and approved.