OKIAAI BOARD MINUTES
Date: May 7, 2019
Time: 9:30 a.m.
Location: Cathcart & Dooley, 2807 Classen Boulevard, Oklahoma City, OK
Call to order by President: President David VanBuskirk made the call to order.
Present: Ashley Stephens (Past President) David VanBuskirk (Pres.), Bill Hollander (1st VP), Chris Woodall (2nd VP), Fred Henderson (2nd year), Jeremy Robbins (2nd year), Todd DeSmet (1st Yr.), Tim Reeves (1st Yr.), Jim Wilhelm (3rd year), Neal Moore (Secretary Treasurer) Renee Southerland (Executive Secretary)
Not in Attendance: Jonathan Wilk (3rd yr)
Special Guest: None
Reading and Approval of Minutes: Motion made by Neal Moore to forego the reading of the prior Minutes, seconded by Ashley Stephens, motion carried/approved.
New Membership: None
Treasurer’s Report: Neal Moore advised $17,249.27 is our current balance. Deposits were made from matching burn camp funds. Motion made by Tim Reeves to approve bank account balance, seconded by Bill Hollander. Motion carried / approved.
Secretary’s Report: None
Committee Reports: None
- Bill Hollander – Discussed that Dave Walker would not return his phone calls, Donnie Howard could speak for four to eight hours about forensic fire deaths, and the burn camp speaker could speak for one hour. Bill requested that the Tulsa Fire Chief or the Mayor of Tulsa do the welcoming and that either Bartlesville Honor Guard or Tulsa Police Department bring the bag pipes. Ashley will check with the Honor Guard, the Tulsa Police Department and check with the Fire Chief for the opening remarks. In this order it will be: Opening Ceremonies, Opening Speaker, and then the Burn Camp Speaker.
- Todd DeSmet – Todd has confirmed Mark Wenthold from the NICV to speak on equipment theft / fire and auto theft, and he will also have VIN decoding books that he can pass out. He has also confirmed Mike McGee from EFI to speak on Infotainment Center in vehicles, which is what information you can obtain from Bluetooth in vehicles.
- David Vanbuskirk – David will check with Terri Crawford of the OSBI as a back-up speaker possibly Friday. Dr. Albano will be speaking on a mental health topic.
- Renee Southerland – Renee has confirmed Harvey Pratt to speak on forensic art.
* * *
A discussion was had about the initial contract given by the Hard Rock to Bill Hollander. Bill and David will be meeting with the Hard Rock on Friday, May 10thto negotiate the following items in the contract:
- Negotiate a later date than October 1stto book rooms
- Need a check out time of Noon instead of 11:00 a.m.
- Need water provided
- Need to negotiate a lesser amount of rooms than 183
Ashley made the Motion for David and Bill to negotiate these items with the Hard Rock, and if they could not be negotiated to sign the contract as it was. Seconded by Neal. Motion carried / approved.
Bill also advised the Hardrock is providing a hospitality room off of Bill Hollander’s room that the Board can use to meet during the conference if needed.
It was also decided that once the agenda was nailed down for the conference that all presentation material by the speakers would need to be provided by July 1, 2019. We would need a PowerPoint file, slides, handouts, biographies and anything else they would reference.
Regional Conference: Tim Reeves went and said vendors were local from the area, discussion about the speakers was had, as well as how they traded challenge coins.
Nominating: No information
Membership: Current membership count – 85 attended the last conference in 2018.
CFI: Tim Reeves received CFI.
Website: We need Dan to make additional changes to the website as follows:
- Add Jacob Stangl as receiving second place / accidental and photo
- Update the fees on the website for attending the conference as they increased $10.00 per day
- Add conference information once it is confirmed with David VanBuskirk and Bill Hollander meeting with the Hard Rock representative on May 10th
- Minutes from November 2018 to the present need to be added
- Add new photographs to the website for a more dynamic look
- Will send email blast out about the conference by mid-May which would include the location, conference dates, reserving your room, and that the conference would be for fire service / law enforcement / investigators / insurance industries / prosecutors and to also list our website.
- Will decide at the next meeting in June what items / clothing to potentially order for the annual conference
- The Secretary / Treasurer language for each of those respective positions was agreed upon by the board. A Motion was made by Tim Reeves to accept the new language prepared by David VanBuskirk, seconded by Jim Robbins. Motion carried / approved.
- We need to check with 511 and compare their prices to what Midwest Trophy’s prices are on the apparel and items they have provided complementary to our Board so that we can get the items on order by June for the conference.
Next Meeting: Tuesday, June 11, 2019, at 9:30 a.m. at the Tulsa Farm Bureau Office.
Motion made by Ashley Stephens to adjourn the meeting, seconded by Neal Moore. Motion carried / approved.